( Page 1 of 2951 )

List View Grid View Latest Articles from

2008 Malegaon Blast: Lt. Col Purohit Gets Bail From Supreme Court August 21, 2017 12:13

The Supreme Court on Monday grants bail to 2008 Malegaon Blast accused Lt. Col. Shrikant Prasad Purohit. Purohit had challenged the decision by the Bombay High Court of dismissing his bail in the Supreme Court. Purohit, who has told the court that he was working as army person and was not involved in any terrorist activity, has spent more than 9 years in jail after got arrested in 2008. The bench of Justice R K Agrawal and A M Sapre passed and reserved the order on the plea filed by Purohit last week. Senior advocate Harish Salve, arguing for Purohit, in the court said that Purohit has been behind bars since 9 years and no charges have been framed against him till now. He also argued that as the charges under Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) have already been dropped against Purohit he is eligible to get interim bail. Earlier, the MCOCA court had ruled that the Anti-Terrorist Squad had mistakenly applied the MCOCA charges against Purohit as well as 10 others. On September 29, 2008 the blast had took place in Malegaon in Nashik district of Maharashtra in the Muslim-dominated area of the city. In a 4,000 page chargesheet, Purohit as well as Pragya Thakur and Swami Dayanand Pandey was listed as accused. In the investigation, it was also came out that while Purohit arranged for RDX, Thakur had owned the motorcycle which was used for the blast. The other names of accused, included in the chargesheet are, Rakesh Dhawde, Ramesh Upadhyay, Shyamlal Sahu, Shiv Narain Kalsangra, Sudhakar Chaturvedi, Jagdish Mhatre and Sameer Kulkarni. The chargesheet also said that another culprit Ajay Rahirkar planned for the funds for the blast and all the secret meetings took place in Bhonsala Military School of Nashik. By Prajakt K

Read More

India Crush Sri Lanka By 9 Wickets in First ODI August 21, 2017 11:16

The Indian team continued its juggernaut on the Sri Lankan lions when they defeated the Sri Lankans by 9 wickets in the first ODI of the ongoing ODI series at Rangiri Dambulla International Stadium in Dambulla on Sunday. Indian opener also continued his stupendous form from the Test series and scored ultra fast 132* in just 90 balls. He was supported by captain Virat Kohli (82* off 70) in what occurred to be the win by largest margin between balls and runs. The duo of Kohli and Dhawan literally toyed with the Sri Lankan bowlers to score the given target of 217 in just 29 overs. No SL bowler could pose tough question in front of the Indian batsmen. The only wicket of Indian opener Rohit Sharma came through an unfortunate run out. Earlier, SL team started well after forced to bat by Kohli after winning the toss. The openers Niroshan Dickwella (64 off 74) and Danushka Gunathilaka (35 off 44) opened well for SL. However the SL team collapsed badly in the second half of their innings and lost their last 5 wickets in just 21 runs. The Indian bowling attack led by Axar Patel, who took 3 wickets by conceding just 34 runs in his full quota of 10 overs just teared apart the SL batting order. Patel was supported by other spinners Yuzvendra Chahal and Kedar Jadhav as well as the pacer Jasprit Bumrah with 2 wickets each. The Indian team has already beaten the SL side 3-0 in the recently concluded Test series, claiming their first whitewash in the 3-match series outside India. Both the teams will now be in front of each other for the second ODI on Thursday at Pallekele. or full scorecard click here... By Prajakt K.

Read More

Doklam Standoff: PLA Again Conducts Live Drills, Says Chinese Media August 21, 2017 11:02

Amid the Doklam standoff between the forces of India and China, the People’s Liberation Army of China again conducts live drills, consisting tanks and helicopters, according to the reports published by state-run newspaper daily Global Times. Another English-language Chinese network, China Central Television (CCTV) the 10 units of PLA’s army consisting of aviation and armed forces carried out the drills on the Doklam Plateau, heated place where the troops of both India and China are in in front of each other since June 18, when the Indian Army stopped the construction works by the PLA in a “disputed” territory. According to the Chinese media reports, the drills took place to “strike awe in India”. Previously, in July, the PLA had conducted live drills in the Tibet region, according to the reports by the CCTV. The issue of confrontation between the two Asian giants on the issue of Doklam has showed no sign of stopping till now. While all the diplomatic channels are still on and talks are going on through various means, Chinese media is spilling a lot of heat against India through its editorials. One such editorial published in the Global Times said that China can issue a final ultimatum to India before the BRICS Summit, which is scheduled in September if India does not take back its troops from what China is claim to be an “undisputed” territory. The situation is deteriorating rapidly in the region and the experts have not removed the chances of a skirmish or war in the area. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Solution on Kashmir By 2022 Says Rajnath Singh August 19, 2017 14:39

The Union Home Minister of India Rajnath Singh asserted that we will be finding solution on Kashmir along with problems of terrorism and insurgency in North-East can be found by 2022. Speaking in Lucknow at a program called Sankalp se Siddhi - New India Movement (2017-2022) Naye Bharat Ka Nirmaan, Rajnath Singh said that solution on problems such as Naxalism, Kashmir can be found by 2022 as the government is working on its pledge to make a “New India”. During the program, Singh also administered the oath to make India swachh or clean from poverty, casteism, communalism and terrorism. He also congratulated Prime Minister Narendra Modi for taking pledge to make “New India” before the 75th anniversary of the independence. He added further that Pandavas were also successful in war because of their pledge and resoluteness. Singh said that at the first meeting of the Union Cabinet, they took the pledge to fight against corruption as well as to change power and system. The home minister also said that the current BJP government is working for development of the nation and not involved in politics for government formation. By Prajakt K.

Read More

New ₹50 Note to Enter the Market August 19, 2017 10:38

On Friday, the Reserve Bank of India confirmed that it is going to introduce the new ₹50 note in the market with a brand new fluorescent design. However, RBI has also made it clear that all the existing notes will continue to be legal tender. The dimensions of the new note is 66mx135mm. Although the height of the new note is same as the existing ₹500 and ₹2000 note, the width is slightly smaller than ₹500 note. Along with new logo and design in the new ₹50 note, which will be introduced under the new Mahatma Gandhi series, will also have an iconic chariot in Hampi in the background and Swachh Bharat logo along with the slogan. However, the RBI remained tight lipped on the introduction of new ₹200 banknote, which, according to the sources, has been already cleared. Although according to some experts there can be a confusion among the people about the new ₹50 note as the old note will continue to be legal tender, some are saying that there cannot be the confusion as the bank ATMs have already stopped dispensing the old ₹50 note. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Terror Attack in Barcelona, Spain; Police Foils Second August 18, 2017 12:14

The terrorist attack struck in Barcelona, Spain on Thursday when the terrorists of the Islamic State drove a van into the crowd killing 13 people and injured more than 100. The deadliest attack took place on Thursday afternoon, when the tourists were having a walk on the beautiful avenue. The security forces successfully hunted the driver of the van. In another incident, police claimed that they eliminated the five attackers in the town in Cambrils, which is situated South of Barcelona. The attackers were planning to trigger another terror attack with explosive belts. In the operation, a police officer and the six civilians have been injured, according to the reports. The police also claimed that there was connection between the van attack and the incident occurred in Cambrils. However, the security forces are still not sure about the total number of involvers in the attack that shook the Barcelona in Spain. The Islamic State has claimed that responsibility of the attack. The IS-run Amq news agency said that the attack was carried out for targeting coalition states of US working against the Islamic State. The Prime Minister of Spain responded after the attack and announced three days of official mourning for a “jihadist attack”, which is the largest after March 2004, when the train explosion took place in Madrid killing 191 and injuring 1,800 injured. US President Donald Trump has also condemned the attack and said that he will “do whatever is necessary to help”. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka Quits August 18, 2017 11:44

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Infosys Vishal Sikka has resigned from his post after little more than three years. During his tenure, the company showed high chances of revival until recently when the things went wrong after his tussle with the founders. Sikka, the only non-founder CEO of the company, who had took the charge in 2014, will now be replaced by the current Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the company Pravin Rao, who will also be the interim-MD of the company. Infosys, in its letter to all the stock exchanges , said that while Sikka has reiterated his belief in the company, he has decided to leave due to “continuous stream of distractions and disruptions” since the last few months. The company has also mentioned that the share value of company has been decreased by 6% and it is trading at ₹960 in the morning trade. The board has also condemned the serious attack on the management of the company and said that no substantial evidence has been found after the in-house thorough investigations into these allegations. Sikka’s move has come after the company’s founder Narayana Murthy clarified in email to his advisers that he was told that Vishal Sikka is more of Chief Technology Officer (CTO) material than a CEO. ‘ In his letter to the board , Sikka, has stated that although various personal allegation was raised on him, all these allegations has been proved false. However, the attack was even “amplified by people from we expect more support in the time of transformation”.   By Prajakt K.

Read More

Doklam Standoff: Japan Says No One Should Try to Change Status Quo Forcefully August 18, 2017 10:14

Adding a new twist to the current Doklam Standoff between India and China, now Japan has openly backed India maintaining that there should not be any change in the status quo by anyone by force. The statement by the Japan has also significantly supported India’s position that China has violated the agreement between the two countries by constructing the road in the disputed territory of Doklam, which belong to Bhutan and the construction project can be serious security disadvantage for India. The statement released by Japanese Ambassador Kenji Hiramatsu has come two months after the forces of India and China is in front of each other in the disputed Doklam territory. India has already made it clear that all the channels of dialogue with China are open to eliminate the risk of any type of military intervention, while China is maintaining that the backing of troops from the region by India is the precondition for talks on the issue. Previously,the United States had also stated that both India and China should engage in talks to resolve the issue. Interestingly, the US has also signals supporting India by tagging Hizbul Mujahideen and its leader Syed Salahuddin, as terror source, which is a big blow for Pakistan as well as its close ally China. Hiramatsu also added that Japan understands the situation of India as it is involved in the agreement with Bhutan and the approach by the Indian external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj of engaging in dialogue through various diplomatic channels is a “peaceful resolution” to solve the issue. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Sharad Yadav Compares BJP’s Government With Hitler Rule August 17, 2017 17:52

Sharad Yadav, expelled member of the JD(U), while speaking at self-organized convention on Thursday, compared the current BJP government with the Hitler’s rule in Germany. The convention, Sanjhi Virasat Bachao, was organized to safeguard the “Composite Culture” of India. While speaking, Yadav said that the BJP government will have to bow down in front of the people of India. He also said that when the people of India and the world stands up together, then even Hitler will have to lose. The meeting was organized in Delhi and was attended by former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh along with other senior Congress party leaders, Left party leaders along with General Secretary of CPI(M) Sitaram Yechury and National Secretary of CPI D. Raja. Targeting PM Modi’s “Make In India” initiative, Congress Vice president Rahul Gandhi said that most of the products available in the country are made in China. After the expulsion of Yadav from the JD(U) Parliamentary party by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, the meeting is being seen as the show strength of Yadav to challenge Nitish Kumar. Sharad Yadav is among the few leaders in the JD(U), who are unhappy by the move taken by the Bihar CM Nitish Kumar to left the Maha Gathbandhan and to join BJP. By Prajakt K.

Read More

Death of Jayalalithaa to Be Investigated: CM Palaniswami August 17, 2017 17:17

The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Palaniswami announced on Thursday that the investigation is going to take place in the death of former CM of Tamil Nadu, Jayalalithaa, who died in December last year. Through the move, Palaniswami has fulfilled a condition by the rival faction led by O Panneerselvam for the merger into AIADMK. The move came after the both Palaniswami or EPS and Panneerselvam or OPS visited Delhi to attend the swearing in ceremony of Venkaiah Naidu as the vice-president of India. After the death of Jayalalithaa in December last year, her replacement, OPS had to be forcefully resigned by VK Sasikala, one of the closest aide of Jaya. However, Sasikala’s dream to claim the most important chair of the state was shattered after she was found guilty in corruption in a case at Supreme Court and subsequently sent to jail for 4 years. Sasikala, before going to jail, named EPS as the chief minister of the party and her nephew TTV Dhinakaran as the no. 2 of the party. However, the OPS camp had demanded both Sasikala and Dhinakaran to be sidelined from the party, which has already happened last week. By Prajakt K.

Read More